Sunday 2 December 2012

Missing, but not gone...

I have been gone a few days... life just seemed to rush at me too fast and I couldn't find the time to blog!

Thursday was spent in Gloucester at a Women's Centre working with women overcoming all sorts of issues. They are a lovely, lively bunch who are just starting out on their sewing journey by making patchwork cushions. I feel privileged that they offered to lock in a cupboard - they only offer that to tutors they like!

Friday was supposed to be quieter with 2 lessons in the studio and some Christmas shopping, but I ended up working at the boys school all day! My middle son's class teacher had asked me if I would so some sewing with the class of 6 and 7 year olds, and we had agreed Friday 7th... unfortunately she hadn't changed her planning so I dashed in after finishing a private lesson to set up a sewing machine and work with 30 year 2 children.

They are making puppets and my job was to take their fabric scraps and sew them into dresses, wolves and prince outfits... it was great fun! They all had definite ideas and had a go on the sewing machine. I have 8 more costumes to make so I will be back in there on the 14th and I can't wait!

Two days of work, but totally different.....

Working with adults who need support is fulfilling work, but draining of your reserves. They bring so many things to the classes and some of those things aren't pretty. Listening to them is part of my job - I don't offer advice, just listen. Some of their lives have been harrowing and they carry the scars. My sewing classes are designed to give them space to be themselves and build their confidence. They are fun classes with lots of gossip and giggles!

But I do drive away carrying some of the anxiety with the learners with me.... it is a natural part of working with people that you take some emotion with you....

The children on Friday were the exact opposite. They were full of energy that is pure. They have a positive outlook and bounce with excitement at everything new thing shown to them. So refreshing!

Two very different experiences of work.....

This term has been chaotic working with 5 different groups and like all teachers I am looking forward to re-charging my batteries at Christmas. I need to find my way out of the layers of anxieties I carry from all of those classes and allow myself to relax....



No comments:

Post a Comment