Saturday 19 January 2013

Testing out new feet...

In the next few weeks I have a few quilting classes at my local arts centre, Prema Arts.

These include Quilt in a Day and a 5 week evening Patchwork and Quilting Course.

As a Janome approved tutor I have 5 wonderful machines to teach with - they the lovely CXL 301, but I didn't have the sewing feet needed for patchwork. I emailed asking if I could buy them wholesale from the company, but it turns out I can loan them too!

So on Wednesday I was very excited with a courier delivered a lovely box of 5 1/4" feet, 5 Walking Feet and 5 Free Motion Feet! Amazing!


As teacher I plan my sessions, and I can't go into a group using a foot I have never used before. The free motion foot is quite a complicated foot and very different from the one I have been using on my Ellie the Elna, so out it came yesterday afternoon whilst we had a snow day...


There are 5 components: the foot, 3 interchangeable free motion attachments and a feed dog plate.

The feed dog plate is great - means you can use the feed dogs up, but still get the motion you need for free motion quilting.

I tried the open toe foot yesterday to work a WIP that is on my Finish-A-Long List:


At first I was a bit concerned that the foot dropped too low onto the quilt for it to move, but there is a spring on the foot that you can adjust and raise the foot off the quilt - genius!

So I managed a couple of hours quilting little butterflies on this little girls quilt!


No comments:

Post a Comment