Monday 7 October 2013

City and Guilds Progress 1

So it has been 8/9 weeks since I started work on my City and Guilds.

The first 5 modules are all about the design elements of machine embroidery. They are all about letting go of the creative safety net you sit in and jumping into an unknown world of drawing, painting and colouring..

I will admit I was a bit worried at the start, and in many ways I still am, but the worry is giving way to excitement and creativity!

I started with peppers:


After drawing them I had to take a section of the drawings and enlarge it:


I had to take 2 sections and work with colour to develop their design potential.


The next step was to look at texture through design elements - this was like machine quilting so I really enjoyed this section:




It was great fun working through this part! I could see lots of potential.

Next was cutting up the design and experimenting the pieces to form a final design piece:



Now comes the fun bit.... making embroidery samples and completing an final piece of embroidery.

So far it has pushed my abilities, scared me and made me want to know more.... so a great journey so far!

I have to remind myself daily that there is no right answer - it's not like maths! My brain is struggling with that concept!

Once the embroidery piece is finished I have to pull it all together in my first portfolio on Line Design.



1 comment:

  1. Looks like great fun. How are you studying the C&G? I've thought about doing it but never known how to go about it.

    ReplyDelete